- How structurally attractive is the Russian ice-cream market? How is it likely to evolve?
- What are the potential sources of competitive advantage in the Russian ice-cream market? How well is Ice-Fili positioned relative to its key competitors?
- What strategic options does Ice-Fili have? What strategy would you recommend to Anatoliy Shamonov? Be specific!
Cooper Industries Case
- What is Cooper’s corporate strategy? How does it create value? What are its key resources?
- Should Cooper Industries acquire Champion Spark Plugs?
- What are the limits to Cooper’s corporate strategy?
- What are the global opportunities for UTV? How would an alliance with Disney give UTV an edge in its international operations?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages in the strategic alliance with Disney? What are the viable alternatives, keeping in mind the revenue increases proposed by Ronnie Screwvala?
- What are the competitive advantages of UTV, and how could they be exploited to develop UTV’s own brand? Should UTV move for global expansion now or focus now on solidifying and expanding in India first, while forming case-by-case partnerships with international studios for international expansion?
- As Peter Vyas, how would you handle the expenditure request for the re-launch of the mini water oxidation system?
- As Cynthia Jackson, would you approve of the request if Vyas sends it to you?
- How effective has Vyas been as a front-line manager at ART? How effective has Jackson been as a division vice-president?
- How well has Vyas managed the global challenges this project involved?
- How has ART been able to foster innovation and an entrepreneurial environment in the context of a large corporate entity?
- Evaluate Peter Clayton’s first two months as general manager of Clayton SpA. What are the main challenges he faces? How well is he dealing with them?
- Review the three possible courses of action outlined on the last page of the case. As Arnell, which plan would you recommend to Dan Briggs and Simonne Buis next week? What problems and constraints might limit your strategic recommendation? How could you deal with those issues?
- How would you convince your bosses to back your recommendation? (Be prepared to defend your preference with convincing arguments backed by data analysis.) How would you roll out your preferred strategy?
- Was Arnell the right choice to be country manager for Clayton SpA?